Monday, April 30, 2012

Carpe Happy, Y'all

Every writer has their own unique fingerprint, their own style and manner of inspiration which they pour into their work.  I am of the Magpie variety of writer when it comes to gathering inspiration.  I can literally be inspired by anything under the sun.  Those of you of similar nature will nod in understanding when I say that I will scribble down a fragment of a thought, or a snippet of conversation, sometimes just a single word, or a song lyric on any available surface.  Paper napkins, chewing gum wrappers, receipts, envelopes, pieces of cardboard....anything that will hold written words that hit in a firestorm of inspiration is utilized so that I don't lose that moment of clarity.  Magpies, for those of you not familiar, are birds who are entranced by anything sparkly, shiny or unusual.  They will collect such objects and take them to weave into the structure of their nests, making a unique, bright, cozy and sparkling home for themselves and their mates.

Most of my closest friends and family members have become accustomed to the fact that they're fair game and fodder for my Magpie imagination.  Any given conversational moment will trigger my Magpie reflex and off I go, frantically searching for something to dash off a series of handwritten notes for content of a future blog post, or a manuscript concept.

Recently, someone close to me uttered what I found to be a shining statement:

"Carpe happy, young lady."
This statement came through a series of texts on a lazy weekend evening, and as indicated above, it struck my Magpie reflex.  I thought, "What a great suggestion!  I want that on a t-shirt!"  As I am wont to do in such moments of inspiration, I studied the above suggestion.  It kept calling to me as I worked through some personal thoughts.  So, I kept coming back to it, circling around, pausing to study from this angle and that plane.  The more I studied it, the more I could hear a deeper message entwined in the words.

The suggestion itself was a delightful moment of whimsy from a friend. I still smile at the sentiment behind the words.  Taken at face value, it is an excellent and valuable suggestion!  In essence, and translation, it means, "Seize the happy."  As I had been experiencing a rather bubbly, happy afternoon to the point of the happy overflowing, I was driven to share with that friend in a bouncy, rollicking, cheerful text conversation.  Little did I know that the suggestion would, indeed, hold deeper meaning and lessons.

I've said it many times before - I excel at getting in my own way.  I will analyze the fool out of a situation, pick at it, poke at it, dissect it relentlessly until I come to whatever personal conclusion is necessary for me to feel satisfied that I fully understand that situation.  It's a protection mechanism, I fully admit this.  It gives me distance and lets me apply an almost clinical perspective.  Sometimes this serves a very good purpose, because cooler heads and calm logic prevailing definitely hold value.  It can also, however, become its own double edged sword, causing focus on negatives to the exclusion of all else....of searching for a solution that might not even be available yet, and thus, inflicting a sort of needless limbo.

On the heels of my happy afternoon, I found myself on the verge of doing that very thing...getting in my own way out of a knee jerk emotional reaction.  I was on the verge of projecting a whole boatload of negative possibilities and getting wound up in a completely unnecessary manner.  Negative possibilities which, mind you, hadn't even occurred and might not EVER occur.  Yet there I was, angsting and worrying those possibilities into near manifestation.  Law of Attraction precepts indicate that that which we focus attention on is that which we can and do manifest, so that reminder was a valuable wake up call for me.

It took me a while to recognize and identify where all of this "stuff" was coming from and what emotional triggers had been tripped, but once I did identify them, I immediately cut the cycle.  I realized that I was right on the precipice of pouring old energies, negative ones at that, into a new experience.  And I saw immediately how damaging that behavior could be if I allowed myself to continue.  It was a poor past habit that was attempting to bully its way back in and set up housekeeping.

So, I stopped it.  I cut the cycle and I shifted my immediate attention back to brighter thoughts.  It wasn't easy to begin with, because fear based thinking lifts its ugly head when we're the most vulnerable, when we're on the verge of stepping into a new experience that is scary and challenging on an emotional level.  I don't know many people who enjoy the sensation of being vulnerable - I know that I sure don't.  But this time, I reeled in the fear based thoughts and did not allow them to sink toxic tentacles into this new experience.  And the fascinating part was that within literally ten minutes of addressing this within myself, being honest, identifying the negative pattern attempting to emerge and blasting it out of existence, I had something occur that was almost instantly reassuring, instantly positive, instantly encouraging.  The relief and clear recognition of how each conscious thought, step and action had its own equal and opposite and positive reaction was lovely.

My decision with all of this nudges me to a behavior that I tend to not embrace that often, and that is living in the Now.  I'm much better at planning things to a meticulous level, because it is another protective mechanism.  That being said, this moment of epiphany clearly showed me that there is a great deal of merit in  living in the Now and being appreciative of each present moment.  For me, that behavior requires stepping out of old habits and patterns.  I'm quite good at living in the Now when it comes to writing, but the true LIVING part of it, well, I admit that I dance around that one and shy from it much more than I embrace it.

It took some work on my part and a conscious choice to be brave, along with being vulnerable.  I'm still not altogether comfortable with that mix - bravery and vulnerability - but I'm stepping forward anyway. And I'm doing it in the mindset suggested above:  Carpe happy, young lady!

I believe this is going to become a new mantra for me.  It carries such a happy, lighthearted message, tone and vibration.  When I read the words, my heart is immediately lifted up and my lips tilt in an irresistible smile.  It prompts such a nice, zippy, bubbly energy that I was driven to share it with you here, and being a southern belle of sorts, I simply cannot resist tweaking the message to embrace you all:

Carpe happy, y'all! :)


19 comments:

  1. Carpe happy, right back at ya. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna! It's a great statement and suggestion, right?! :)

      - Dawn

      Delete
  2. Carpe Happy, Southern gal! Let it be your mantra, your inspiration to move forward, and upward, and outward.
    I never knew how rich my life could possibly be until I began writing my daily devotions. I made the conscious choice to answer God's call, to do as He asked. My life has profoundly changed as a result.
    Seize the day, my dear, and accept the challenges He lays on your plate with joy and thanksgiving. You have marvelous revelations to share, and I pray you will continue to write what He lays upon your heart.
    Make the joy your mantra!
    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a wonderful mantra, Martha! I love your approach of accepting challenges with joy and thanksgiving - it's all in our perceptions, and how we choose to step forward. This little mantra is beautiful in its simplicity. Thank you for the wonderful comment and sharing of your thoughts here; I always enjoy our interaction. Blessings to you in return, sweet girl. :)

      - Dawn

      Delete
  3. Seriously, I thought it read "Crappy Happy" Which made me head tilt for a moment before I looked again and facepalmed. Carpe Happy Dawnie, with love, hummus, and ALIENS on top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tinker, falling OUT laughing! I had the instant mental image of you as the RCA Victor dog, head to the side, quizzical expression. Priceless! Carpe Happy back to you, sister-mine, with love, hummus and Aliens really loudly!

      - Dawnie

      Delete
  4. That was great! I loved how you were able to turn things around when you realized you might be heading down the wrong path, letting anxiety and emotions get the best of you. That's something I'm struggling to do myself lately. Not that I have anger or anxiety issues, it's just that I want to create an increased level of peace within my family and those I come across. I know my kids mimic my own actions so I try to be a good example, setting a firm foundation for them.

    I'm going to seize the happy tomorrow! Great post. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica, I'm glad it all made sense and struck a common chord for you! I don't normally experience anxiety to any great extent either, but I CAN get myself wound up needlessly with creating scenarios that don't necessarily need to, or have to happen. My goal is always to communicate clearly with others, but I'll occasionally not give that same gift to myself. Have fun seizing the happy tomorrow! :)

      - Dawn

      Delete
  5. Dawn, what a wonderful sentiment! I recently had to do some self talking when I found myself reacting emotionally to something someone said and in another instance when I felt I had been slighted. I immediately checked myself and realized that I was allowing someone else's actions to strip me of a happy moment that I had worked hard to earn! How silly! LOL!

    After I took some breaths I was able to get back to my happy place. Funny that you write this as I just dealt with this situation yesterday. Now if I had read this first... But, most times we have to work things out on our own. Thanks though for cementing these notions in my mind for next time.

    Also a pleasure to read your words dear lady. Cheers!

    http://lyricfire.typepad.com/lyric-fire/2012/04/lyric-fire-napowrimo-2012-day-30-of-30-poems-in-30-days-feed-me-featured-on-nprs-tell-me-more-show-.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tameka, I love it when serendipity hits that way and we receive an immediate affirmation on the heels of a new experience! I'm also a fan of deep breaths, self-talking and those personal checking moments. They're all tools in the arsenal to be that best version of ourselves each day.

      I'm going to have to let my friend know how well this wonderful statement of "Carpe Happy" is being received! Now I'm off to visit you in return & have my heart and mind sparkled up by your writing.

      Much love,
      Dawn

      Delete
    2. Did you get those Carpe Happy t-shirts made yet? :-)

      Focusing on this has been very helpful. Happy Weekend! :-)

      http://lyricfire.typepad.com/lyric-fire/2012/05/shades-of-green-and-gray-embracing-challenges-to-become-a-better-artist.html

      Delete
  6. Good Morning Dawn! What a treat to find a new post for me to enjoy as I sip my black coffee and shake the sleepy cobwebs out of my mind. Today's post spoke directly to me—again! You're good at the Dawn.

    I've been dealing with negativity and vulnerability a lot lately. I believe this is tied directly into me releasing my novel, Cosette's Tribe, and it's also sort of an old habit.

    When you said: "I realized that I was right on the precipice of pouring old energies, negative ones at that, into a new experience. And I saw immediately how damaging that behavior could be if I allowed myself to continue. It was a poor past habit that was attempting to bully its way back in and set up housekeeping."

    It hit me right in the head. Of course that's what I'm doing. That's what I've been doing for years, and although I'm aware of it, and I resist it, the negativity still has a way of worming into my day. Thank you for the reminder to stay in the NOW, where the light can reach me.

    Carpe Happy my sweet sister!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leah, my sweet girl, you humble me with your thoughts. Moments such as these - those Light Bulb Moments - are why I write! I always think, well, if I'm feeling it, then others must be experiencing similar thoughts, so why not write about it? And every once in a while, someone will let me know that what I've shared here has made a difference.

      Carpe Happy is the most wonderful statement, don't you think?! I can't read it or say it without smiling, and the act of smiling immediately lifts my heart and spirit. Walking with you in the Now, sister-mine! And enjoying the sunshine of it all. :)

      - Dawnie

      Delete
  7. Can't believe it's taken me this long to come read this.

    Who can I blame for this? :)

    Anyway, this is an awesome post, Dawnie!!! I'm glad that you've come to that sort of epiphany and changed your way of thinking a bit. We all need to do that from time to time.

    Actually, I think I may know why it took me so long to read this.

    I wasn't ready for it.

    I've been going through a bit of emotional turmoil the last couple of weeks, work-related stress and then allowing myself to get in my own way on a personal level regarding friendship on top of that (usually I can handle one or the other, but the combination of the two was really bringing me down).

    If I had read it back then, I would have enjoyed it and thought it was really good, but I may not have embraced it.

    But I had a long talk with a good friend on Friday that, assuming I can stay out of my own way and think back to that conversation any time I actually need to for reinforcement, will keep me going in a good direction.

    So now I read this, and I'm much more internally receptive to what you're saying, and I totally agree!!

    The hard part will be living up to it.

    *HUGS* Dawnie. Thanks for the great post (I will have to figure out different ways of saying that, as I'm sure you're getting tired of me saying the same thing each time :P)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave, my friend, I will NEVER tire of Hugs from you or hearing you say you enjoyed something I've written! I completely get what you're saying about not being ready to receive a specific message; I am positive there was Divine Order in you hitting this post when the timing was optimum for it to click with you.

      "The hard part will be living up to it". Yep, I agree. I work on this daily, with some days being better than others. It's a good reminder though, just saying/thinking the words, "Carpe Happy". I can't say/think it without automatically smiling, and that instantly cuts any negative mind chatter going on.

      I'm happy to walk the "Carpe Happy" trail w/ you, buddy! :)

      Much love,
      Dawnie

      Delete
  8. Oh, the hugs and compliments will keep on coming. There's no doubt about that. Just may try different ways of wording it. Maybe speaking as a native from Betelgeuse once? :)

    We can walk the trail arm-in-arm, singing "Carpe Happy" as loudly as we can. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, I fell OUT on that one! And pondered, briefly, how Betelgeusian would sound. Then I gave up because it could've gotten my mind on a rabbit hole tangent! This, among many, is one of the reasons I treasure our friendship - your sense of humor! :)

      Delete
  9. I was surfing the net when I accidentally stumbled upon your blog. And this is a very insightful post. We usually think that it would take a lot of effort to patch things up, but we tend to forget that it only takes a gleam of sunshine to brighten up our day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Therapist Website, I love your perspective on this. "...we forget that it only takes a gleam of sunshine to brighten up our day". Yes! Taking that moment to be aware of negative thoughts so we can cut the cycle and replace with positive thoughts. It sounds very simple, and it is, but it can be challenging to stop those bad habits. I'm so happy you stumbled across my page and took time to visit! :)

      Namaste',
      Dawn

      Delete

ShareThis