Monday, December 7, 2009

Peaceful thoughts

It is morning in East Tennessee and outside my window the world is wreathed in typical winter fog, with the grass and trees tipped in frost. This year winter has been a bit sluggish in arriving, but this past week ushered in true cold temperatures that seem to be here to stay. The fog drifting dreamily about the landscape, combined with the cold temperatures evoke a quiet sense of peace.

That word, peace, has been cropping up in my mind quite a bit recently. It is a presence that I find palapable in my life, those moments of peace. They occur unexpectedly and delight the senses with the moment of surprise. Other times, peace will seep slowly and surely into my bones, surrounding me like a warm blanket. The method of delivery varies, but the end result is that I am reminded that there is order and a sense of logic in this world which applies to all of us. Admittedly, we are living in a world full of distractions, chaos, strife and most days it is a challenge just to survive traffic, work and family issues. Small wonder, then, that we forget to take those moments to experience what is so readily available to soothe our Souls.

One of my friends provides an outlet for me with her photography. She is a gentle, loving spirit who sees the world with such different eyes. Whenever she posts a new set of photos on her Facebook page, I always take time to pull them up because I am confident she will have snapped a shot of something that will just "click" with me on a very elemental level. I also make it a point to tell her when something she has said, done or photographed made a difference in my life; I think that is another important thing we overlook due to daily stressors. We forget to reach out and acknowledge the beauty that those we care for bring into our lives. Friendship in general is a blessing to all of us that we should remember to nurture, cultivate and appreciate.

Another source of peace for me is nature, looking about me to witness the continually unfolding drama of the Tennessee Valley. It is truly breathtaking here, regardless of the season. Finding time to walk in the woods, go up to the mountains, or visit one of the numerous rivers or lakes in the area and just sit quietly allows me to soak in the sense of peace that is unique in nature. I always come away feeling a motherly source of love - as though the earth recognizes one of her children taking a moment to check in with her.

I could go on with an impressive list of experiences from which I draw a sense of peace. They are unique to me, so I won't go into exhaustive detail. I think the important thought here is to take time in your day to access that place of quiet for yourself. It is there, just waiting to be tapped into. Some small moment is fluttering in your line of sight, waiting to inspire you, make you laugh, make you cry, soothe you, uplift you, encourage you. If you take a moment to honor that presence, you might be surprised at how the rest of your day, or your week will open up and flourish with success, satisfaction and happiness. Like begets like, after all. Embracing peace and allowing it to become a thriving daily presence for yourself means that it will begin to compound itself and you will recognize it more and more surrounding you. This thought is not specific just to the concept of peace - it applies to anything that you would desire to have more of in your life. Laughter, happiness, success...they can all become a focal point if you open your heart up to recognizing them in their purest form. I think that starting this practice with recognizing and welcoming peace is a good place to begin, as peace opens doors to so much that is beautiful and desirable.

Enjoy your day, my friends. Peace be unto you!

9 comments:

  1. "Some small moment is fluttering in your line of sight, waiting to inspire you, make you laugh, make you cry, soothe you, uplift you, encourage you."

    This post was that small moment. It was beautiful and it gave me a sense of peace. One of my all time favorites :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Marty! Each time you, or anyone else takes time to post a comment on a specific blog, it lights my whole day up so brightly. I love knowing my words touch others. I also love knowing others "speak my same language" when they read my blog posts. Have a happy day today, my friend.

    ~ Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think you should lead meditations (i need a peace leader)

    ReplyDelete
  4. B, I'd love to! Haven't done it in years, but it would be such a good thing for me personally to get back into. Let's talk more about this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautifully executed piece about Peace you just wrote. I will come back to this one many times over the next year as I fight to recall the feeling of peace while my daughter is away at war. I will use it as my gentle reminder to look for peace even when it is not easy to find. I will read the part where you wrote "I could go on with an impressive list of experiences from which I draw a sense of peace" and secretly wish you had shared more with us.

    I thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing with me your love of words. You make them sing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Janet, thank you for taking time to post here on the actual blog page! I think people are unaware, sometimes, how much that means to we writers. I LOVE hearing people's thoughts when they have time to tap out a response. Btw, I'm following your brand new blog - looking forward to reading your thoughts, or seeing your amazing photos.

    Love you sister!
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well thanks to Marty I have arrived here for a read. And I have to say, I'll be back!

    Like you, it means a lot when people post comments on my blog. It just helps to know someone out ther is reading, that what you say might actually mean something to someone other than yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Epiphany, love your blog title! Thanks for taking time to stop by and read. I'm going to pull your page up and check you out also. I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets excited when someone posts a comment - I love it! Thanks again for visiting!

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Dawn. Will see you around the blogs!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis