Thursday, October 15, 2009

A moment to reflect

Today has been a challenging one with respect to hanging on to positive thoughts. I seem to have been bombarded by negatives from just about every direction. Friends have been having a rough day as well, it seems. Then I turned on the television and witnessed something so appalling that it is still beyond my ability to fathom. In the state of Florida, five teenage boys were arrested for "allegedly" dousing another boy with rubbing alcohol and setting him on fire. According to one of the police department officials who spent time around the five boys arrested, several of them were still laughing about the incident. That was when my brain seemed to seize up in complete horror. Equally horrific, to my way of thinking, is the fact that this story is garnering limited news coverage.

I do not know what to say. Words are difficult in a situation like this. While it is not my place to sit in judgement of anyone else, or decide if their actions were right or wrong, this is a moment that cannot be prettied up, marginalized or made less of a tragedy. I spent quite a bit of time searching for something positive about the whole story, and admit that I'm coming up with zero for the people involved. Multiple lives have been irrevocably changed.

"But for the Grace of God go I," seems to be an appropriate statement, or thought, to make. That, however, seems to be such a vast understatement that I am almost ashamed to even leave it in this paragraph. It is rare that I fail to see some positive in any given situation, no matter how grim, but I admit to still coming up with nothing beyond being made very aware that my own personal struggles pale in comparison to what that child and his family are dealing with. I wasn't having the best day today, I admit that. It was a bit of a challenge to keep a positive outlook while also taking initiative to offer encouragement to friends who were feeling equally gloomy. I am not a young boy sitting in a hospital with burns over 75% of his body, fighting for life. That certainly puts things into perspective for me on a personal level.

I would love to say that I can end this blog with a feeling of being uplifted. All I can manage is a request to anyone reading this post to please keep this child and his family in your prayers. If you have prayer lists, prayer groups or any other type of group that focuses on sending healing energy to people in need, please put this family at the top of your list. It may not seem to be much, but I am a firm believer in the power of prayer. This young man's name is Michael Brewer. He is 15 years old.

There is no way anyone can wake up one morning and be prepared for such a thing to hit their life. Just hearing it from a safe distance through the medium of television and internet, I am still grappling with the ugliness and shock. This is definitely a moment to stop, look around you and be grateful and appreciative for the life we each are given. Tomorrow is not promised to any of us, and what we do with each day does matter. Take a moment to reflect and count your blessings, for I am sure they are numerous. Tell those who are dear to your heart that you love them. Take time, as well, to have compassion in your heart for a group of young boys in Florida that you have never met.

There is no understanding what creates such an implosion of negative emotion that results in a physical attack of this magnitude. I cannot focus on the why of the act itself. I can only focus on giving this incident a bit of attention through this blog, in the hopes that anyone reading will send these people positive, loving, healing thoughts and energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis