- The great debate of ketchup vs mustard on French fries exists in my world. Mustard, you say? Yes, I do! Ketchup is usually a bit too sugary for my taste. So I usually have a puddle of each on my plate when I indulge in French fries. There is also the odd occasion where I have either sour cream or mayonnaise with French fries, but that's a whole other debate.
- Whomever invented the little plastic prison to capture shavings on pencil sharpeners, you're my official Hero. And whomever finally incorporated that concept into sharpeners for cosmetic eye and lip liner pencils, Bravo! I applaud your brilliance.
- I was looking at river rocks the other day. What is it about their smoothly tumbled, pleasing to the touch surface that makes me so happy? Perhaps it's just that. They're simple and beautiful. Dreamy in variations of colors, usually. I have a silver bowl full on my desk that I've collected over a lifetime. The newest one is a pale, gentle peachy shade and is blobby in shape. It fits beautifully into the palm of my hand.
- I have a weakness for dimples. There, I said it. If you're a man with dimples, and you smile at me, I'm going to get a wee bit giddy. There's not a whit of logic to it. Dimples just flutter me, and with one person in particular, they tend to short circuit my brain for a microsecond or two. This is not a bad thing, btw. :)
- Vinegar is awesome! Apple cider vinegar, rice wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, plain old white kitchen vinegar....I love them all. Wonderful for toxin-free cleaning, but even more so for cooking. The more tart, sour, tangy, the better, in my opinion. As I mentioned with ketchup, I'm not a big fan of things overly sweet.
- And vinegar gives us pickles! So, obviously, it follows that I'm a pickle person. Sour, tart, crunchy, savory. Just the scent of pickling liquid makes my mouth water. Being southern, I have to give a special nod to that delightful treat of pickled okra. If you haven't tried it, don't knock it! I promise you, it's delicious!!! :)
- Snort-larfing. You know you do it occasionally! I did it recently over a random comment at my family reunion. It wasn't a quiet one, either. No, it was a full fledged, less-than-feminine full out snort-larf. Sometimes life is just that funny.
- We're moving into the fall months here in East Tennessee, and cooler mornings, milder temps during the day, lower humidity and promise of fall color in the Smoky Mountains are upon us. I love this time of year!
Sunday, September 23, 2012
Grasshopper Thoughts, Vol. VI September 2012
Ahhh....much better. Now my noggin is a bit more clear of clutter. If only I could incorporate this into housecleaning! Alas, it will never happen. Grasshoppering is relegated to my mental faculties. The writing process of grasshoppering is fun, though. The recent summer months have been challenging for many of us, myself included, so there is merit in the occasional post that addresses a moment of whimsy.