Monday, December 27, 2010

Just say "No!".....

Photo: www.clker.com/clipart-no-sign.html
Update: December 2010
Sometimes I find that I wrote a past blog that I can't improve upon, but that addresses an ongoing yearly issue.  This post is such a one, and rather than try to reinvent my own wheel, I'm just going to re-post this one. :)  Best wishes to everyone for the approaching New Year of 2011!

We're at that inevitable moment approaching the New Year where practically everyone you speak with throws the "What's your New Year's resolution?" question at you.  Don't get me wrong - this practice works for a lot of people to get motivated, start the New Year fresh, get organized and make lists of all the things they plan to accomplish.  I've never embraced the resolution concept because I don't enjoy having something hanging over my head, making me feel obligated to do, be or feel differently on a specific timeline.  To be facetious for a wee moment, I'm more a fan of the "Just say 'No!' to New Year's Resolutions!" mindset.

I am of the opinion that striving to live daily in a conscious manner works better.  This may sound like a cop-out, but the reverse is actually true.  By living consciously, I mean paying attention to my thoughts, my actions, my words, my tone of voice, even my physical movements and the things I eat and drink on a daily basis.  It requires being physically, mentally and emotionally present on a moment by moment basis, again, each and every day.

I can tell you that choosing to embrace this concept is challenging.  There are plenty of days that I fail spectacularly on all of the above.  Those are the days that can be frustrating, yes.  However, the concept of living consciously is not meant to be an onerous task, or an invisible tool with which to torment ourselves.  For me, it is a personal choice to strive each day to be the best version of myself it is possible to accomplish.  On the days that I fall short of my own personal expectations, I am then realistic and kind to myself.  There are going to be those days where things, people, traffic, work, kids, etc., all conspire to make any sane person's head want to spin around on their shoulders.  Bad days happen. 

What I have found, over the years that I began to actively incorporate this practice of living consciously into my daily existence, is that the more you do it, the easier it becomes.  I am fortunate to have a calm, peaceful core nature which serves me well in business situations where various personalities can clash, tempers can fray and power struggles are constant.  At a very young age, something within me recognized that operating in what I call a reactive (i.e., unconscious) manner produced people who walked around in a constant state of dissatisfaction.  I observed, studied, did a lot of thinking and reading and resolved to not be that same reactive type of personality.  Being mindful of my actions is how I chose to live my life, and from that point forward, it has worked for me. 

Does all of this mean I think I shouldn't embrace the New Year's Resolution craze?  Am I saying I'm perfect and not in need of resolving to change certain things?  Of course not - I am far from perfect and certainly it is true that I have my own rough edges in need of smoothing and refining.  I just prefer to address those issues and behaviors on a regular, daily basis, rather than letting it all build up to tackle at the beginning of the New Year.  That way, when the New Year does roll in to greet me, I am able to step forward with enjoyment and not dread some looming list of Have To's that will hang over my head and dog my every waking moment.

This is what works for me, so in a sense, if pushed to write out a resolution for the New Year of 2010, or any future New Year (as I re-post this for the approaching 2011 New Year) it would be to stay true to my convictions and continue to live in the purposeful manner that works well for me.  This works so well for me, in fact, that it is the basis of a manuscript I am writing and have intentions of submitting for publication in the near future, so please stay tuned for news of this!  As this year winds to conclusion, I wish you all the best, brightest approach to the New Year that each of you can imagine for yourselves.

16 comments:

  1. My new year's resolution is to read through my one-year Bible. But that's my ONLY one! I, like you, do not believe in making stupid promises that only end up getting abandoned six weeks later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenn, I appreciate the comment! I think so many people set themselves up to fail w/ the resolution thing, which, as you commented, tends to fall by the wayside about 6 weeks into the New Year. I'll stick w/ my method. I like your one, easily accomplished goal, btw!

    Jeff, thanks for reading and giving the thumb's up!

    ~ Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think we think alike when it comes to New Year's resolutions. Happy 2010 to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Surein, Happy New Year back to you! I'm very happy we've "met" in a virtual, internet kind of way! Thanks for the comment! As always, I look forward to reading more of your fascinating, funny & entertaining blogs.

    ~ Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't agree more Dawn. I'm all about conscious living!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chavah, thanks for the comment! I love that people "get" what I was communicating w/ this post. After all, the living consciously concept is nothing new under the sun. It's just that we all get distracted and forget sometimes that we have so much power right there at our own fingertips to create the best possible reality for ourselves. It's nice, though, when others read a post and find that common thread. Thanks for taking time to visit, read and comment!

    ~ Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Dawn, I'm not much for resolutions either. I think we can become to attached to the results of resolutions. I believe strongly in setting intentions & then letting go of the results. This simple act tends to bring much more joyful results. I also agree that living in the now is the best place to be. many of us tend to get stuck in the past or the future & all we truly have is right now. Forgive yourself for not being able to stay in the now & accept that we all struggle with the unexpected things that show up in our life.

    Hugs,

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Bill! "Setting intentions" sounds much more friendly and forgiving than "making resolutions" I think. Great comments! Thanks for taking time to visit, read and post your thoughts.

    ~ Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Quite agree, resolutions or setting intentions for change be carried out any day of your life. I can't get the hang of why many of us have a thing about the New Year being the day we decide to change.
    Everyday a new goal can be set relevant to the now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Jim, thanks for the thoughtful comments. I've always found it very curious, the dynamic of New Year's resolutions. To each his/her own with that, of course. I'm just a bit more impatient to get the ball rolling and situations addressed immediately. I loved your final statement: "Everyday a new goal can be set relevant to the now." That's a t-shirt and bumper sticker slogan right there, my friend!

    Namaste',

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  11. You want another-
    "To attract positive energies, surround yourself with positive people.To surround yourself with positive people,attract positive energies." :-)

    In other words concentrate on the positives in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks again, Jim. That's a daily goal of mine. Well met! :)

    ~ Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  13. "I am of the opinion that striving to live daily in a conscious manner works better" I totally agree with you on this one! I don't do the Resolutions thing because of this exact thing...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had one too many resolutions for this year & for the first 2-3 months, I kept most of them. But then, when you stop following through with it, you're just filled with guilt. I've decided to not have any resolutions for 2011 & get through each day as it comes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mitzi, I love that so many of my friends embrace that living consciously concept! While it might not be the easiest way to greet each day in the beginning, in the long run, I find it simplifies life so much. :)

    Anahid, that's the exact reason (one of them, at least) that I don't make New Year's Resolutions. It drives me nuts to feel like I'm setting myself up to fail right from the get, you know? Day by day works so much better for me. :)

    Love you both,

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis