Saturday, January 17, 2015

It can happen to anyone

Photo:  www.freemyaddict.com
For the last several weeks, the topic of domestic abuse has been present around me.  Not to me, specifically, but in conversations with friends, and sadly, for the adult child of a dear friend, domestic abuse is a current concern.

Because of this repetition of discussion and awareness in my immediate sphere of influence, I have been engaging in online social media conversations about domestic abuse.  Statistics indicate that 1 in 4 women will experience domestic abuse in her lifetime. This experience is not gender-specific, by the way.  Statistics also indicate that men are victims of nearly three million physical assaults in the U.S. (http://www.safehorizon.org/page/domestic-violence-statistics--facts-52.html?gclid=CNqaz4epm8MCFeLm7Aod820AqQ)

Domestic abuse crosses all socio-economic boundaries.  It does not discriminate amongst age, race, education, level of intelligence, financial background, the job sector, religion, region or country. 
I am one of those 1 in 4 women.
People who know me will and have expressed dismay to learn that I was involved in an abusive relationship.  "But you're such an intelligent person," they protest.  "How could you allow such a thing to happen?"

Other questions and well-meaning comments inevitably get voiced:

  • Why did you stay with him?
  • You left several times and returned to the relationship - why did you go back???
  • How could you let someone treat you that way?
  • Where is your self respect?
  • Anyone who allows someone to abuse them is a weak, ineffective individual.
  • Maybe you're imagining this - it can't really be that bad.
  • All relationships go through rough stretches; maybe you're just not trying hard enough.
  • Men need to feel strong and manly - what did you do to make him feel insulted/threatened/disrespected?
There are endless comments, observations and questions that run along the lines of the ones listed above.  All of them tend to have either a subtle or overt and aggressive tone of doubt, ridicule, scorn and judgment towards the person who is experiencing domestic abuse.

A friend shared the following article that describes a specific type of abuser - the narcissistic abuser.  Please take time to click through to this article and read the information.  The article breaks down the process of abuse, how it happens, the steps that occur and the degrading of the emotional health of the person being abused.  https://selfcarehaven.wordpress.com/2014/07/21/five-powerful-ways-abusive-narcissists-get-inside-your-head/

Now, I will share my story.  I am not going to mention very specific details, because this experience is in my past, and I do not want to stir things up again.  This experience happened approximately twelve years ago.  I was at a point in my life where I was searching for how to transition my professional life from retail management; I had been working for over five years on a gradually increasing level with technical writing projects and was in the process of transitioning that into a full-time career.  If you've transitioned from one career focus to a completely different niche market, then you're aware the process takes time and can be full of a lot of starts and stops as you shift the energies.  This process can also be fraught with a lot of emotional turmoil and doubts as to whether this big leap of faith is the right decision.  Looking back, I can see that I was ripe for an opportunistic personality to be attracted to me.

I met this person via a long-distance connection.  The relationship progressed quickly, with emotions and conversations burning hot and bright, and the giddy rush of what felt and looked like love swept in.  A work opportunity came into play that convinced me that the hands of Fate were at work, as that opportunity was in the same state where this person lived.  Eventually, I made the decision to take the job offer and moved out of state.  I had lived other places prior to this move, so it wasn't an unknown experience, but it was a much bigger move with a much bigger geographical distance away from my home state. I moved to a city where I knew no one but this other person.  I had family in that same state, but they were hours away from my location.

So, how did the abuse happen?  Insidiously.  Slowly, methodically, and craftily.  Perhaps addressing some of the comments and questions listed above might help to paint the picture of this relationship and the cycle of abuse.

  1. But you're such an intelligent person; how could you allow this to happen?
Yes, I am an intelligent person.  I am also quite intuitive.  When you are immersed in the chemical maelstrom of love, all of those key cognitive skills tend to become muffled.  You're existing in that euphoric flush of love where a bonding process is setting in. When you're in love, you make allowances for negative behaviors in the person you love.

In this case, in this relationship, my intelligence, my kindness, my compassion, and every good thing about who I am as a person was used against me.  Let me repeat that - my intelligence was used as a tool, a weapon, to slowly and surely whittle away at my sense of self.

Abusive people are masters of manipulation.  They are masters of adapting to various personalities and quickly learning what comments and remarks will best begin the process of eroding self-confidence in their victims. With me, the abuse was verbal and emotional - an endless mind game that played out.

I wasn't physically abused, but I want to make it clear that you don't have to be physically attacked for a relationship to be an abusive one.  Verbal and emotional forms of abuse are equally toxic, destructive and damaging.
How did it start?  With very reasonable observations.  Helpful, well-meant comments from him, spoken softly and logically, appealing to my sense of logic.  Just a comment here, a comment there, but spoken with an underlying tone of judgment, and then the conversation would go on to other topics.  Hours later, the sting from the judgment would be there, so carefully crafted and worded that it worked on my sense of logic to the point that I would revisit it and start to question myself.  "That was a reasonable observation," I would reflect.  "Maybe he's right.  I don't have to talk about that specific topic around him, because it's just not something he's interested in.  I'll just not bring it up when I'm with him."

Or....

"He had a fair point, that maybe I am too concerned with doing things that specific way.  I just won't do that around him from this point forward.  It's a simple thing to just set aside when I'm with him."

And in this quiet, slow, steady fashion, he began to chip away at what makes me who I am as an individual.  I was already isolated, living hundreds of miles away from everything and everyone familiar.  Now the next step was to instill doubt in me about who I was.  Little things....seemingly insignificant details were commented upon in that soft-spoken, reasonable tone.

An example:  at the dinner table, where I had quickly placed two place settings, the comment was, "Wow, this looks like you used a ruler to measure the exact spacing between each plate, glass and silverware.  It's just the two of us, you know - you didn't have to go to that much fussy detail."  And in fact, I hadn't measured space, I hadn't been overly fussy with setting the table.  I had been in a hurry, had just set the table without thinking, and his comments had me second guessing my own actions.  Maybe he was right - maybe I really was too fussy, and too concerned about things that weren't all that important.  Maybe I should stop that behavior.  And so I did.  I began to pull back with giving creative voice to that specific action.  I didn't dress my dining room table with the decorative touches that pleased me.  Often, from that point forward, I wouldn't even have us sit at the table to eat.  We would eat in the living room, watching television and not interacting with one another during the meal, which is something I purely detest doing in my own home. I believe that meals are a time to reconnect and focus on one another.  Yet, I allowed him to convince me to let that habit go, to remove a part of my true nature from my daily existence. 

Key factor - in this manner, he was attacking something that was and is important to me.  Table manners, etiquette and setting a pretty table are things that matter to me and make me happy, because they are a part of who I am and how I was raised.  By making that seemingly random observation, he was chipping away at an integral part of who I am, instilling doubt and causing me to question myself in a negative fashion.

An example:  snuggling on the sofa, he made a leisurely scan of my face and said, "You pluck your eyebrows, don't you."  Not a question, a statement.  Yes, I pluck my eyebrows - most women do!  And I answered in that vein, that it was a common grooming habit.  He just nodded, and continued to stare at my eyebrows without comment for several long moments before changing the subject.  After he had gone home and I was in the bathroom removing my makeup, I stood there, studying my eyebrows.  Let me share with you that I have soft, fine hair, and my eyebrows are similarly fine and delicate.  I don't have that much eyebrow real estate to fiddle with to begin with; the plucking that I do is mainly those little straggling hairs that aren't close to the eyebrow hairline.  Yet, his quiet observation stuck with me, niggled away at me, and had me standing at the mirror, feeling self-doubt.

Key factor - he was insinuating that I was vain to an excessive degree, predicated on the simplest of grooming habits.  Unspoken, inferred judgment was his favorite tool to use, and it was very effective with me. I have always been a people pleasing type of person, wanting everyone to be happy, wanting everyone to feel comfortable.  This trait was taken, twisted and turned into the perfect weapon to progressively slice away more and more of who I was.

Both examples I have shared here sound so innocuous, don't they?  Maybe you're reading this and thinking, "That's not an abusive relationship.  She's exaggerating."  And if you are having those or similar thoughts, then perhaps you can now see just how easily the cycle of abuse can happen.  It starts off in such a simple, seemingly innocent manner.  Multiply these two examples I have offered by hundreds of such seemingly innocent comments in a single week, all delivered in such a reasonable, calm tone that anyone would feel silly to label them as acts of abuse.  And that is how it happensAbuse is wrapped up in fine feathered clothing, my friends, and at first looks quite innocent.  Those pretty feathers are tipped in slow-working poison, though, and they instill a creeping death inside the victim.
 
            2. This brings me to the next comment in the list above - "Why did you stay with him?"

Take time to imagine being in love with someone, far from home and your support system of family and friends.  Now add in all the stress and fear that such a life changing move causes.  Next, add to the mix that on some levels, there is a true connection with this person you love - he makes you laugh, he hits all those physical attraction points for you, he can be very loving and thoughtful and sweet at surface level.  And when all the reasonable observations he makes begin to erode your self-confidence, you feel he is the only safe port in the storm.

The cycle of abuse is a cycle of conditioning.  The abuser slowly and consistently introduces his victim to negative, undermining comments and behaviors.  The victim is inexorably conditioned to believe that they truly are all those negatives:  stupid, helpless, ineffective, scatterbrained, dumb, ugly, fat, a failure, worthless. 

Once you begin to absorb all those negatives about yourself to be new truths, you believe that no one else in the world will want you.  So you stay with the abuser.  There is nothing emotionally healthy about this process.  It is the process of a twisted form of logic that is crafted to trigger your biggest fears, biggest weaknesses and vulnerabilities.  You are preyed upon by a predator.

      3.  You left several times and returned to the relationship - why did you go back??

The answer to this question is multi-faceted, and it will change with each victim of abuse, but the main reason is that conditioning process.  At some point in the building up of all those reasonable, soft-spoken observations, I began to believe the inferred judgment.  I began to internalize all the unspoken criticisms, and I systematically sheared off those behaviors, preferences, traits, loves, all to cater to what I believed was a relationship worth working for.   This person became a sort of touchstone for good vs. bad, right vs. wrong actions.  I looked to him as a weather vane and responded by subjugating everything beautiful, vital and vibrant about myself in order to keep the peace between us.  And when I would leave, he would wait for several weeks to allow me to start to feel comfortable, to begin taking back those beautiful parts of myself, and then he would come back into the picture.  He would portray all the traits and behaviors that hooked me in the first place, and a mini-honeymoon phase would be enacted.  I would want to believe that this time, I could love enough to make everything okay.

I never believed - still do not believe - that I can change another person.  I know that that is one trait that abusers pounce on, but it's not something I ever embraced.  Instead, I always believe(d) that if there was/is enough love present, any obstacle or disagreement or point of friction could/can be overcome.  This is actually true, but only if BOTH people are present and willing to put that love and effort into the relationship.  So, my loving nature was another tool in his arsenal to use against me.

      4.  How could you let someone treat you that way?  Where is your self-respect??

I repeat that this conditioning process doesn't happen overnight.  In my case, it took place over the course of a three year stretch of time.  I left the relationship more than once, then allowed myself to get sucked back in.  Why?  Because I had lost sight of who I was, and allowed this person to paint a warped reality for me where I was lacking in every single way imaginable.  I became a faint, almost transparent ghost of myself.  I was withdrawn, quiet, and had abandoned hobbies and pursuits that had made me happy, and I began to believe this warped version of reality that no one else would want me, find me attractive, or consider me worth putting genuine effort into.

      5.  Anyone who allows another person to abuse them is a weak, ineffective individual.

This is absolutely not true.  Anyone who survives an abusive relationship is the last thing from weak!  Yes, the cycle of abuse erodes self-confidence and our natural autonomous actions to the point that we become ineffective, but surviving the terrain of an abusive relationship requires a level of strength and fortitude that most people cannot fathom.  Unless you have walked this reality, you simply cannot imagine the strength it requires to get through each moment of each day whilst you're being systematically attacked, belittled and broken down.

      6.  Maybe you're imagining this - it can't really be that bad.

This is one of the abuser's best weapons - doubt.  Without fail, every single person I've spoken to who has survived and escaped an abusive relationship has been deemed "crazy" by their abuser.
  • You're crazy.  
  • You're imagining things.  
  • You have no sense of humor - lighten up, I was just joking!
  • You're too touchy, too sensitive, too stupid...
  • Don't take things I say so personally - it was just a harmless observation!  
Well-meaning friends and family members tend to grasp at any available straw of response when they're confronted with the potential that a loved one is in an abusive relationship.  They want to find a reasonable answer, a logical reason that you are telling them this negativity is happening (if you're brave enough to even address what is happening).  So, they doubt you and they reinforce the abuser's claims that you're crazy.  You're imagining things.

And because other people around you express such doubts, echoing what your abuser is saying to you daily, you begin to believe that no one will believe you if you tell them what is happening to you.  You begin to accept that no one will believe you're living in an abusive atmosphere and relationship.  And you feel helpless as a result.  Helpless to escape, helpless to get anyone to believe you, helpless deep down inside about all of it.  That part of the cycle is more scary and isolating than I can communicate to you, and it gives the abuser that much more power in the mix.


      7.  All relationships go through rough stretches - maybe you're just not trying hard enough.

This one is a continuation of #6.  It must be YOU.  It can't be him - he's a hard worker, he's so good to you, he's so charming, he's so funny, he's so attractive!  Abusers don't look, speak, and act like he does.  YOU are the problem.  You're just not trying hard enough.  And BOOM, society has reinforced the sick hold that the abuser has on their victim.  They have blamed the victim for being abused.

      8. Men need to feel strong and manly - what did you do to make him feel insulted/threatened/disrespected?

Yes, this kind of accusation happens fairly often.  It sounds absurd to ask such questions of someone who is in an abusive relationship, but I heard this type of question more than once in my own situation.  Once again, it reinforced all the negativity the abuser was instilling in our relationship.  It was all my fault.  I was clumsy.  I was wrong on every single level. 

Let me be clear about this next point: 

I could have turned myself inside out, stood on my head, and worked miracles if it had been in my power, and he would still have found something to criticize


Here are a few more examples:

  • In his eyes, I was overweight, so I lost weight.  And let me stress that at the time I was absolutely NOT overweight - I was a beautiful, physically healthy person prior to meeting him.  
  • Due to his criticisms on my physical appearance, when I lost weight, I was accused of starving myself out of vanity.  
  • Then I was told I looked unhealthy and had an unhealthy fixation on weight issues, and he was concerned about my mental stability.
  • Perhaps I would benefit from psychiatric counseling, as he felt that a mere psychologist might not be equipped to address what looked to be quite severe mental issues for me.
  • He threw this comment out one evening: "You know, I have to wonder how long it will take for you to look like I need you to - is it going to be years? Because I don't think I want to put that much time into waiting on you to fix all these problems of yours."  
  • I was told I was too verbal with how intelligent I was, and he found that boring and pushy.  
  • I was told I was too confident as a female, and that made me aggressive and unattractive and distasteful not just to him, but to all men, he would comment to me.  "No man is going to be attracted to a pushy female like you; you're lucky that I overlook these bad habits of yours."

The litany of points could go on and on here, but I'll stop with the list.  What I am attempting to communicate to those of you who haven't ever experienced an abusive relationship is that it can happen to anyone.  Being a strong, attractive, charismatic, intelligent, successful person doesn't protect you; it didn't protect me.  I was all of those things, and I fell victim to a polished, practiced abusive personality who saw me as a new challenge to destroy.  Abusive personalities are rooted in fear and they have a need to destroy others who embody the traits they desire - strength, vitality, kindness, compassion, intelligence, competence, success. 

This is a small window into a time in my life that was horrible, unpleasant, and temporarily damaging on an emotional and mental level.  But, I survived.  I gathered strength and resolve and extracted myself from this person and this cycle of abuse.  Are there scars remaining from this experience?  Yes.  I still have moments where a random comment from someone will make me freeze, will chill me to my core, and hit me with a dizzying, nauseated flush of panic.  I have coping skills to get through those moments, and I am deeply conscious of being mindful when they happen.  I am no longer the vulnerable person that I was when this abusive relationship occurred, and I think that I never will be that vulnerable again.  I think that I can now recognize the warning flags of that type of destructive personality, and I can shut those forays of contact and engagement down with swiftness and razor sharp effectiveness.

As many of us who have recently shared our experiences in social media have agreed, if sharing my personal story can help one person out there who is in an abusive relationship to feel empowered, it is worth revisiting and publishing here.

If you are in an abusive relationship, you CAN get out of it. 

You CAN escape.  You CAN heal.  You CAN move forward to become a whole, healthy, happy person. 

You CAN love again, and find love in a healthy relationship. 

You already ARE a survivor, and you can take steps to leave and not only survive, but thrive and be happy. 

Below are some resources for counseling, legal advice and support groups.  Reach out and ask for help, and know that you are not alone.

  • Safe Horizon counseling & support group link:  http://www.safehorizon.org/page/counseling--support-groups-71.html
  • Safe Horizon support phone number:  1-347-328-8110
    347.328.8110#sthash.kmVw1v5Q.dpuf
    347.328.8110#sthash.kmVw1v5Q.dpuf
  • Domestic Violence Hotline phone number:  1-800-621-HOPE(4673)
  • Crime Victims Hotline phone number:  1-866-689-HELP(4357)
  • Rape and Sexual Assault Hotline phone number:  1-212-227-3000
  • TDD phone number for all hotlines:  1-866-604-5350




10 comments:

  1. You forget feeling ashamed of yourself for all your perceived faults. My sister was in an abusive relationship, but she never talked about it. Her husband at the time this gentle kind of abuse to a much more physical level, but when he slashed a picture of their baby, she packed up and ran for home (200 miles away) She was all bruised up, but she was still hooked to him. He called telling her he'd kill himself if she didn't come back. Dad sent the cops to his place instead but they were too late. He was the sick one. It's good that you write this, explain it all out. It really needs to be said so it can be understood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna, I'm so sorry to hear about your sister's experience. The shame element is another one of the effective tools and mental manipulation at work that sucks the victim into the whole dynamic, and convinces them to stay much longer than they should. I'm glad your sister got out, and I agree with you that we need to discuss this issue. Silence is one of the biggest culprits - shining a glaring spotlight on what is happening every single day to so many people is the best defense we have to educate.

      Thank you for taking time to read this post and share your thoughts. :)

      - Dawn

      Delete
  2. Many years ago, I was in a similar relationship to the one you went through, Dawn. As a fellow "people-pleaser," I believe we are more inclined to fall into this trap and lose our integrity in the slow increments you describe here in such detail. It took such courage on your part to share your experience here; I hope and pray your words will inspire women caught in this abusive cycle to break free and regain their confidence in themselves. Thank you for sharing this, my friend. Much love to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear Martha, I am saddened to hear you experienced this negativity in a relationship. When you look at that 1 in 4 statistic, though, it is a grim realization that practically every person you speak with is likely to be in our category.

      Thank you for taking time to read this post, and for sharing your own experience. I agree with you that giving voice to what we've survived is critical to helping others who are in the midst of the nightmare in their lives.

      My experience, like yours, was many years ago, and I am a happy, healthy person who has put all of this behind me. I felt compelled to write this article because a close friend has a family member currently in the cycle of domestic abuse. I don't know if this article will help that situation, but perhaps others will read it and know they can escape the cycle of abuse and reclaim their lives.

      Much love to you, sweet friend! <3

      - Dawn

      Delete
  3. Dawn... when I was in my early 20's my sister came home from the states due to an abusive ex husband, he had even threatened to kill her... she even lost her children in a custody battle (both children chose to live with her when they were 12 and rarely see their father)... I was so judgmental then... I thought why did she put up with that, why did she take so long to leave..

    Fast forward 15 years and I met my ex husband.. it started out slowly and I cannot even pinpoint the moment, it was small comments and within a year I was alone as I ended up being cut off from my friends and family.. I left countless times but then I found out I was pregnant with our daughter.

    I then felt trapped even more, add to this that I had signed an agreement to have him live in Canada... I would have to be responsible for him for 10 years...

    Finally one day I thought I cannot live like this for another six years, if I did, I don't think I would be here today... I found out through sheer luck that the laws had changed and that I was only responsible for him for 3 years. I immediately called the police and had him removed.

    It was the best thing that happened to me, I got me back in the process... there were ups and downs for a while after that (he even raped me after we were separated... ) I stood up and took him to court, he now knows that he has no control over me.

    I have even since forgiven him as I don't want him having one ounce of control over me and I learned a hard lesson that I should NEVER judge another person.. my sister was young and I had no business saying or thinking any of the things I thought.

    We are both strong women, we have become independent and we don't take this behavior from men anymore...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Launna, thank you for sharing your sister's story, and your personal story. As I mentioned above, when the statistics indicate that 1 in 4 women will experience an abusive relationship in their life, that makes the world quite small and it means that every single person you speak to may be one of those 1 in 4.

      Many times, people have to live a negative experience before they shift their judgmental mindset and embrace compassion. I'm so sorry that you had to experience an abusive relationship before your eyes and perspective changed towards your sister's experience, but the important points are that you both exited those abusive relationships, and you now have a much kinder, compassionate approach to this issue.

      Continue your wonderful journey, Launna! :)

      Much love,

      - Dawn

      Delete
  4. First of all, I want to compliment this whole article. I wish every man and woman could read it, absorb it, learn from your personal experience. I am so sorry you had to go through that part of your life. The way you handled each point was so succinct, so truthful as a voice of experience. I have known people such as the one you spoke about. I was very close to getting hooked up with someone exactly like that, thank God I was living with my parents at that time and I had a close relationship with them. My Dad refused to let me go see him at his house a few towns away. I could've gone anyway but I had enough respect for him not to. He came our home to pick me up a few times for dates and it was on its way to escalating very fast. Thankfully around the same time, I met someone else who was much better for me! Bless you dear Dawn, and I am so happy you got out of that. You are such a beautiful person inside and out. Thank you for highlighting this very important issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, I am so happy to know you avoided getting completely sucked into that relationship. Living at home and having a strong father presence was a huge gift, and support system for you. I have found over years of research and speaking to other victims of abuse that many who DO get sucked into abusive relationships don't have healthy father-child relationships, or they don't have a father figure present in the home at all during their formative years. You were given the benefit of a healthy home environment and a strong sense of boundaries, and that is one of the things that saved you.

      Thank you for your kind words on this article. My goal is to address the commonly held erroneous, judgmental beliefs that people cling to about domestic abuse. It's not enjoyable to revisit this time in my life, or to put it on public display. I felt it was worth any discomfort I might experience if what I share might have the potential to educate others, and help people who may currently be in a domestic violence situation.

      The statistics surrounding this horrible topic are grim. Thank you for sharing your own experience, as well, Lori. Blessing to you in return!

      - Dawn

      Delete
  5. Dawn, thank you so much for you wondrous reply on my blog. I so treasure you faithful friends who read my words and respond with such sensitivity and deep thought behind your words. It means so very much. And I do hope we will keep hearing from you on your blog. There is richness there that I can always draw from like a deep well. Keep those words coming, please. Sometimes a wait between posts makes it all that much better! I always look forward to your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, thank you so much for taking time to write this second comment! I doubt I'll ever abandon this blog. I compare my publishing rate in the first several years (in my archives) to my publishing rate in recent years, and there's such a big divide in the numbers. And then I wonder if there's much point in continuing to keep things current here.

      I do appreciate you taking time to let me know you enjoy my work here. I think we all tend to get tunnel vision over time, and lose sight of the fact that our readers aren't counting number of articles printed, or keeping score of any kind. Thank you for both that reminder and for the kind words about my writing. :)


      - Dawn

      Delete

ShareThis